In some of these, workers were required to buy goods at the company stores, which sometimes overcharged them.
The mill owners could throw out workers from housing if they violated policies about behavior.
Twickenham was carefully planned, with streets laid out on the northeast to southwest direction based on the flow of Big Spring.
However, due to anti-British sentiment during this period, the name was changed to "Huntsville" to honor John Hunt, who had been forced to move to other land south of the new city.
A dairy cow called Lily Flagg broke the world record for butter production in 1892. Moore painted his house butter yellow and organized a party to celebrate, arranging for electric lights for the dance floor.) of land adjoining the southwest area of the city for building three chemical munitions facilities: the Huntsville Arsenal, the Redstone Ordnance Plant (soon redesignated Redstone Arsenal), and the Gulf Chemical Warfare Depot.
However, the recognized "birth" year of the city is 1805, the year of John Hunt's arrival. During the Great Depression, the house was measured to be included in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Archive and was photographed by Frances Benjamin Johnston, but it had been abandoned for years and was considerably deteriorated.
Mitchel seized Huntsville in order to sever the Confederacy's rail communications and gain access to the Memphis & Charleston Railroad.
Huntsville was the control point for the Western Division of the Memphis & Charleston, and by controlling this railroad the Union had a direct connection to Charleston, South Carolina.
A combination of factors, including depopulation due to disease, land disputes between the Choctaw and Cherokee, and pressures from the United States government had largely depopulated the area prior to 1805.
That year Revolutionary War veteran John Hunt settled in the land around the Big Spring.