Reproductions of antique fire truck toys made of cast iron. Helmets and Pump Can Extinguishers - Thousands old these blue pump cans were distributed to civilians by Civil Defense authorities during World War II in case of a bombing. As Memphis began to grow into a metropolitan area after the Civil War, high rise buildings began to appear downtown.The difficulties in fighting fires in buildings that were several stories high made it necessary for the Memphis Fire Department to find newer and more effective equipment to fight those fires.Although this desk obviously belonged to a high ranking fireman and probably would have been in a private office, it has been placed in the museum as a reminder that every fire station had a watch deck near the front door which was manned 24 hours a day.The man at the desk had to monitor any incoming fire calls and be prepared to sound the alarm.
This pumper was fully restored by the Memphis Fire Department Shop for the museum.
He might also have to patrol the area near the station, which in the days before telephones or alarm boxes involved stepping outside every 15-30 minutes and looking for smoke or flames.
Grandfather Clock - Made in 1857 and bought by the Memphis Fire Dept. This clock tells time from three separate dials and is operated by weights. For the Love of a Brother Sculpture - A metal sculpture donated by Fire Station #10 to honor Lt.
The Fire Museum Plaza and Memorial Wall - On the outside wall of the museum is an impressive, high relief brick sculpture, twenty two feet high and twenty five feet wide, which is dedicated to all the Memphis fire fighters who have lost their lives while fighting a fire.
The larger part of the sculpture is an image of several fire fighters carrying an injured comrade from a fire.